Taungup battle centres on No. 5 Military Operations Command

Taungup battle centres on No. 5 Military Operations Command

Clashes between the Myanmar military and Arakkha Army (AA) continue to escalate as the ethnic armed group carries out an offensive against the No. 5 Military Operations Command in Taungup, Arakan State.

The AA began attacking the regime’s No. 5 Military Operations Command on November 21, with the junta responding to the AA assault with aerial and artillery attacks.

“Fighting between the military and AA is intensifying near the No. 5 Military Operations Command. Junta battalions in Taungup have been besieged by the AA. The regime fires mortar shells into the AA positions,” said a source.

A source close to the military said regime troops are currently facing food shortages and that some have surrendered.

“Junta soldiers are currently facing food shortages and are going hungry. The AA has forced junta soldiers to raise white flags,” the source told DMG.

The AA has been attacking military camps in Taungup Township since late October after besieging them for some time. The AA seized control of Taungup Town in the third week of November.

Civilian homes and shops have been damaged or destroyed, and civilians have been killed due to the regime’s airstrikes and artillery attacks on residential areas in Taungup Township.

April 1, 2025
About 200 junta soldiers entered Malakyun Village in Kyaukphyu Township, Arakan (Rakhine) State...
March 28, 2025
Residents who previously returned to Taungup Town in Arakan (Rakhine) State after they had fled...
March 21, 2025
Though there has been intense fighting in Arakan (Rakhine) State’s Kyaukphyu Township since 20...
March 18, 2025
Many children under the age of five in Arakan (Rakhine) State’s Maungdaw Township are suffering...